Some Interesting Facts
- United States Presidents born in Vermont, Chester A. Arthur (1881, 21st President) and Calvin Coolidge (1923, 30th President)
- With a population of fewer than 9,000 people, Montpelier is the smallest state capital in the U.S.
- Vermont's state capitol building is one of only a few to have a gold dome. A statue of Ceres sits atop the dome.
- 1816 Was the Year Without a Summer: On the night of June 5th, tempertures dropped 50 degrees, and a wet snow fell the next day all over the state. On June 7th a blizzard struck northern Vermont, with several inches in the valleys and 12 inches in Craftsbury Common. Hard freezes continued through the 10th of June. July, August and September all experienced cold periods. The freak weather resulted in a loss of summer's crops.
- Montpelier Vermont, is the only state capital without a McDonalds